[LUG] Newbie introduction and request for help

Hi.

I'm quite new to Linux, though in a previous existence I was a Unix
user and did some routine administration on workstations - HP and Sun.
I found the group recently and joined but have been lurking until now.

I've been experimenting with Linux distros on my laptop. I have
Mandrake 10.1 dual booting with lilo, but I would like to load another
distro into some spare disc space for comparison. Is this
possible/feasible/trivial?

I've tried installing Suse 9.2. It happily found itself a suitable
place in a partition on my external HD - fair enough. It then
installed grub but failed to boot from it. Is there a problem with it
being on the external HD? I was wondering if it was trying to load
from the drive before it had been recognised. The drive is connected
by a USB 2.0 port.

I returned to using lilo to control the boot process and tried to add
an entry for Suse 9.2. Not sure if I set up the mount point correctly
- I must have a more thorough investigation tomorrow.

Any hints or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Martin

--
Martinus Scriblerus scripsit