[LUG] Networking question...

This may be obvious to some, but, what's the best way of sharing folders and
files on a server?

I'm so used to having lots of windows machines that i would normally just go
for samba but in this instance i wandered if there were any better choices. I
have the following machines:

- Desktop (linux) (wireless 54)
- Server (linux) (wired 100)
- Work Laptop (linux mostly, boot to windows for some projects) (wireless 54)
- PC2 (windows - and has to be) (wireless 11)
- XBox (supports most protocols from XBMC) (wired 10, if that!)

As you can see, most of this is now linux, but i do still have the odd windows
client in there. I need my server to serve me up files, http and ftp and
anything else that i may think of in the future (mail as discussed earlier in
the week for instance).

So is samba still the natural way to expose the directories i want to be able
to read and write on the server from clients or is there perhaps a better
way.

By better, i really mean "faster file transfer" since the server is inside a
"double NAT'd" router configuration.

Thanks for any tips,
Martin.