Re: [LUG] Networking question...

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:17:06 +0000
Martin White wrote:

Hmm, okay, i've done just that. I've set up nfsd on my server (and my clients
as it goes) and exported a folder.

I've then installed Windows SFU (am an msdn subscriber so i didn't need to
send Microsoft any information - they already have it all!) and after
realising the obvious and compiling nfs3 support into my server's kernel it
works a treat, both windows <-> linux and linux <-> windows.

HOWEVER.

Man is it slooooowwww or what? Is there anything glaringly obvious i may have
done wrong? I've set the options async and no_subtree_check on the exports.

I'll try samba tomorrow and see how much of a speed increase i get but at the
moment i fail to see how it can't be a drastic one. Copying stuff off of my
windows box to linux i was getting 6mb/s using samba (backing up prior to
installing all of this). Using nfs it's more like 500k/s. I don't know if
those figures are kbit or kbyte but either way it shows the order of
magnitude so it's pretty immiterial.

Obviously the only way i had to hand to get those figures was by using drag
and drop in konqueror windows and the kio slave could i guess be slowing
things up a tad so i tried a standard mount from the command line and it
really wasn't any noticably better (ie, i got bored waiting for the file to
copy).

This was using a 50mb file as a test also, so not loads of small files,
potentially with a lot of overhead.

I often chuck gigabytes of data backwards and forwards from the xbox so i need
to come up with something better than this. I was hoping for a linux solution
because of, well, just because :O)

Martin.

Is that purely Windows<=>Linux?  Did you try NFS between two Linux boxes?  I
routinely use NFS between my machines on my network at home (since they're all Linux
boxes) and I find it really fast, even using the kio slave.  So, my guess is that
it's either something not-quite-right at your end, or it is something peculiar to
SFU (I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentionally crippled by MS to coerce people
into thinking that NFS is "slow" whilst SMB is "fast"... but since we haven't yet
established whether it is SFU that's causing the problem or not, I really shouldn't
let my cynicism show :D).

Does the XBox support NFS or can it use SFU?  I would be very surprised at either,
personally.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.