Re: Legalities of libraries (was [LUG] Development)

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 11:52 pm, Martin White wrote:
More general, we ARE allowed to use external libraries, but we must declare
that we have done so, and the use of those libraries must explicity go up
for approval (which would also mean declaring WHICH external libraries
specifically), and furthermore it implied the process would be of greater
complexity if those libraries were open source (again, in my non-legal
eyes).

Not true - be careful here (again) with open source vs free software. Free
software licences are generally more strict than a lot of open source
licences and one GNU GPL compatible free software licence is easy to compare
to another. An open source licence can be a pig-in-a-poke that has almost no
common ground with another, apparently similar, open source licence. Just
because a licence is accepted as open source, does not mean it has more than
a passing similarity to any other. Free software licences are far easier to
compare.

Basically you have to compare your code use *by licence* not by origin.

Presumably, although I don't know for sure, because the legal team would
have to examine the exact wording of the license to understand what (if
any) obligations there may be to credit the original authors and whether or
not the resulting code would need to be made openly available or not (a no,
no in this case).

This illustrates the difference - free software licences make this examination
much easier than a comparison between approved open source licences.

These things may or may not be in any particular open source license, it's
not something I've ever really looked at

Please make sure you DO look at this *before* you get into free software /
open source development. You will regret it otherwise.

, BUT the point is that the company
would need to expend knowledge (which in a contracting scenario is
ultimately time and money) in order to know IF there were any impact.

Stick to licences that are compatible with the GNU GPL (the gnu.org website
has a nice list with differences highlighted) and the whole thing becomes
much easier to handle. Far easier than any proprietary library.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

--

Neil Williams