Re: [LUG] Re: Perl

Julian Hall wrote:

"Which is better to employ, a person with a bit of paper that says
back when he was in school/college/university he *could* do X Y or
Z, or the person without the paper who sits down and *proves* he
can?"

It's someone who is given bonus poimnts for the bit of paper, plenty
of experience and good answers to hard questions in interviews. If the
person shows understanding or the concepts and has had the experience
then I would not give them a technical test. I've had ten years active
use if Perl and kick arse. I would be insulted if anyone but an
extremely technical company gave me a test.

On a similar note, when was the last time you were asked a hard
question in an interview?

A good programmer IMHO, as will a good *anything*, knows the structures
and logic of the subject, a lot but not all of the details, but knows
where to find what he/she wants and how to package the end product in a
neat presentable *efficient* manner.  A bad programmer will know the ins
and outs of a cat's backside about the subject and packages the required
product in such a convoluted way that the manager finds to their cost
that they *have* to keep the idiot on because only he/she can make head
or tail of the code!

Interesting. I find that experienced programmers using another miss
the idioms of the language. Have you every seen the code from a new
Java programmer that used to be a C programmer? This is becuase they
know "a way" of doing it, rather than the right way, where "right way"
is defined as the way that other people can understand and
maintain. On the other hand, the novice will not know what to do,
research it and get it right. In either case, you end up with
something that's far from ideal. One is "different" and one is slow,
like any ineperienced programmer.

The solution is to employ someone that can already do it :)

Steve