[LUG] Perhaps Perl, possibly Python?

And isn't alliteration great!

It would seem from recent posts that there are a number of Perl people on here.  I
was just wondering what people's opinions on Python are with regards to making quick
GUI utils rather than full-on applications?

I have recently been trying to write a few small apps - principally because *I*
would find them useful - such as a front-end to Clam AV (I've already got
http://fetcav.sourceforge.net, written badly in bash using xdialog, but I can't get
it to do/look/feel quite what/how I want), a Windows-alike dialogue that asks what
to do with given media (to be used in conjunction with http://ericlathrop.com/cdde),
and all sorts of other small utils.  I have principally been plugging away with
bash/xdialog and http://gambas.sourceforge.net/, but I find xdialog to be a bit
restrictive, and nice as it is gambas just doesn't feel right.

So, I was thinking about taking a stab at Perl or Python.  From what I've seen so
far, I quite like the look of Python, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on
places to get good "teach yourself Python" sites/books/whatevers?  I am presuming
there's at least one O'Reilly book on it - anyone read it/them?  Any good?

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.