Re: [LUG] Downgrading Debian?

On Saturday 19 March 2005 6:33 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all.

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while now... is it possible to
*downgrade* a Debian setup?

Yes. Just use --dist-upgrade testing or --dist-upgrade stable.

If so, is it as easy as upgrading?

It's necessarily confusing syntax, but it is a LOT easier because there are
far fewer package changes, if any at all. Certainly going from unstable to
testing is simple - I haven't tried testing to stable.

Let me explain a little... I have the proper Debian netinst boot CD for
Testing.  I have so-far upgraded 3 machines quite effortlessly from Testing
to Unstable.  It would appear that there are no official netinst boot CDs
for Stable, and as of yet I haven't tried the unofficial ones.  So, is it
fairly straightforward to "downgrade" from Testing to Stable?  Or will it
cause more problems than it's worth?

I don't think the process will actually replace the current packages and
downgrade the versions - at least not for the majority. In essence, you'll
have a testing system that will wait for stable to catch up.

--

Neil Williams