Re: [LUG] MS Locks in UK Schools

Aaron Trevena wrote:

I would point out that win98 no longer gets any update or support and
that if anything goes wrong he is stuffed.

True.

its not like he can run any new
software on it.

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised if you look at the required specs of software how many do still say they will work with Windows 98. The main reason is that MS etc *know* to their distress that many small businesses have too much invested in Windows 98 in terms of current software to move to Windows XP, quite apart from the cost of licensing, they're probably using old hardware that will croak if it sees Windows XP, and the very accurate technician's adage "Don't fix what's not broken" (I think that's where Richard's Pastor is coming from btw), so the manufacturers of software likely to be used in business do tend to make it backward compatible. That's also why so many hardware manufacturers do still provide Windows 98 drivers. They know small firms can't afford and/or don't want to buy new hardware just because Microsoft has a shiny new OS available with more security holes for them to play with.

A simple example is that of a local taxi firm. They use a piece of software which is apparently no longer maintained but nobody produces any other software that does the job. Obviously it was written for Windows 98 so they won't move to Windows XP. Yes it probably would run in XP's Compatibility Mode but why should they buy a new OS for £200 for the privilege of running their software twice or three times slower? They have fairly old PCs on which a modern OS would run like a tortoise in wet concrete. Companies like that a) don't have the budget for new software OR the hardware needed to run it, or b) the inclination to go to the hassle and expense of getting it.

Then there is security - no SP2 or IE7. If he has children he really
ought to have some kind of firewall and spamassasin, antivirus, etc

Or he could get AVG (free and works on 98) from www.grisoft.com for anti-virus - daily automatic updates. Zone Alarm for a firewall from www.zonelabs.com - OK he'd have to pay for that but *only* because he has 5 machines that I *assume* are networked and it's not a massive cost for two years of updates (I think I paid about £30) - if only one machine connects to the Internet he could get away with the free version.

Thunderbird and Firefox both work on Windows 98 so that takes care of the security holes in IE and Outlook (Express). Don't use them and take the shortcuts away :) T'bird especially won't automatically run attachments so that's down to the user's intelligence, and as the Pastor is currently resisting Windows XP I'd say that shows he's not daft :) [1]

Getting back on the topic of Linux (AT LAST I hear you cry!), Richard why not suggest to the Pastor making one of his machines dual boot? That way when he has time he can play with Linux until he is familiar with it, and not disrupt his current setup.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] No I'm not saying anyone who uses Windows XP *is* daft, some people have valid reasons for using it.