[LUG] Laptop recommendations

Dear All,

My laptop died today . . . funeral on Saturday, RIP faithful companion :-(

Motherboard's fsked, so now I need a replacement.

Specs required:

Low weight
Good battery life (>6hrs if poss)
Built in network card (preferably one with its own processing power)
Built in modem (not a WinModem)
Floppy drive
CD & DVD drive
Good graphics - capable of playing movies from hard disk or DVD
Under £1000

But, most importantly of all (and the reason I'm mentioning this on
list) . . . nice standard hardware which works sweetly with linux
distributions and is easily replaced if it goes wrong (tough as old
boots would be good too). I'm particularly keen to find one which
works well with debian as I could never get debian to install on my
VAIO (which reminds me, I don't want another Sony !).

Otherwise I'm open to suggestions - not too worried about Memory/Disk
space as I can always upgrade that and I assume that any current
laptop is going to have a CPU easily fast enough for my need, the last
one was 666MHz and that was fine (if a little worrying to my
superstitious side).

I'd be quite happy to by one with Linux pre-installed if I could get
it with a discount for the Microsoft tax.

Thanks,

Mark