Re: [LUG] advocacy

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:42:25 +0000, Adrian Midgley <amidgley2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is in a newsletter I get...

"Protecting your IT & data systems - FREE
The seminar is about protecting your data and IT system from electronic
attack. This seminar takes place at the offices of Toller Beattie
Solicitors, Barnstaple on 23 March. 9.30am - 11.30am"

http://www.bs-sw.co.uk/portal/evnt_ebusiness.html

It occurs to me that this is the sort of venue where just a mention that
GNU and Linux are rather good approaches to protection would not go
amiss, and that if anyone is in business supporting such stuff their
interests might be served by it.

Quite true.

Unfortunately a great deal of the computer security industry makes its
living cleaning up the mess of virus and insecure applications /
systems.

If you go to any major anti-virus outfit they won't reccomend
replacing outlook or internet explorer, they might reccomend removing
kazaa or whatever but thats like saying you should not have a catflap
in the door while neglecting to mention that you should have a secure
door and locking it in the first place.

I suspect these lawyers are more interested in the legal problems than
actually making organisations secure - amusingly enough many legal
practices including the big names in london have appallingly bad
system security measures and practices - I doubt there isn't a single
solicitor in cornwall or devon that couldn't be trivially compromised
(allowing access to confidential files, impersonation, etc) because
their systems are so badly setup and managed. (and I don't blame their
poor IT people either as they tend to value IT somewhere between
ground coffee and a4 paper supplies)

A.

regards,

A.