[LUG] Re: [Glastonbury] USB wireless card

Martin wrote:

Do you get any flashing yellow lights *at all* ?

No

Have you installed wireless-tools ?

No; would that help?

What happens when you run 'ifup wlan0' ?

It says 'wlan0 is already configured'. I tried 'ifdown wlan0; ifup wlan0'
and this generated a lot of information, which I have appended at the
bottom. Does this help to see what the problem is? I'm afraid I don't
understand what it is doing at all. 'No such device'??

cheating to use a non-free Windows driver.

Sorry, but for me, that's totally pig-headed dogmatic-stance garbage.

A wee misunderstanding here I think; of course I own the Windows
driver and I use it in Windows on another partition. I was reflecting
what I understand the Debian philosophy to be, viz that free software,
if available, is preferable to non-free. The ubuntu docs were quite
disapproving about ndiswrapper.

I couldn't get ndiswrapper to work

"to work" in what way?  Did you copy the Windows driver over to your hard
drive?  Does apt-get install ndiswrapper barf?  Does ndiswrapper show up
under lsmod?

I'm sorry I did not give more information but I was really more
interested in getting linux-wlan-ng to work. I have installed that
before and I am using it now so it seemed a safe bet.

Well, it sertainly supports Sean's BT card -- out the box.

That is how I would expect it to work. Now I know it should go I'll
concentrate on that approach.
Sean wrote:

I didn't have to do any of this compilation stuff that Tony appears to
be struggling with... I just had to edit /etc/network/interfaces as
follows, and then restart...

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
name Wireless LAN
wireless_essid <your ESSID here>
wireless_mode Managed

Mine is the same except for wlan0 in place of eth1.

Thanks to both for helpful advice

Tony Sumner

# ifdown wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1rc14
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:00:00:00:00:00
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:00:00:00:00:00
Sending on   Socket/fallback
# ifup wlan0
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
   SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
   SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
   SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1rc14
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:00:00:00:00:00
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:00:00:00:00:00
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
send_packet: Network is down
receive_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
send_packet: Network is down
and more of the same ...