Re: [LUG] quiet and reliable

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:54:24 +0000
Steve Marvell wrote:

I need a server PC which is small, reliable and quiet.

Any ideas?

Steve

Just to throw another idea into the cooking pot...

If this server isn't going to be doing anything too processor intensive, then you
could always opt for an old machine, or an defunct laptop?  I have a couple of PIIs
sitting next to me which are *virtually* silent and a laptop that only beeps
occasionally to say "you daft buggar... you forgot to turn the power supply on and
my battery is getting low".  Certainly I wouldn't be able to hear any of them over
normal background noises.  They are not modified to be extra quiet or anything, it's
just that todays computers are getting noisier so by comparison these are almost
silent.

Just a thought.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.