Re: [LUG] Gentoo installing woes

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 06:40:53PM +0000, Ben Goodger wrote:
Hi,

Installing Gentoo using a router, I have got to the stage where I can
bootstrap the system but I cannot then emerge the system, as portage
is unable to connect to any download servers (although it is able to
resolve their IP addresses.) I need to have my MTU set to 1400 in
order to use the Internet properly on all operating systems, and I can
set it to 1400 with a 'ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400' before chrooting into
the bootstrapped environment, but I don't know if it retains this
setting once chrooted, and I can't set it again because ifconfig is a
system component.

Anyone got any ideas of how to get Gentoo to connect?

If the mtu is set in a file somewhere, copy it into /mnt/gentoo/wherever before
chrooting (like /etc/resolv.conf).
If not, try downloading the ifconfig package (and anything it depends on)
before chrooting, put the packages in /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/, then
chroot and emerge ifconfig straight away (before the full emerge system).
It might be easier to have two VTs open, one chrooted and one not; then you can
use wget in the non-chrooted VT to download the packages that emerge in the
chrooted VT tries to download.
I'm sure there must be an easier way, but that's how I've usually done it.

-Ben

--
Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/
Home Page: http://benalee.co.uk/