[LUG] Print Failure

After a overnight apt-upgrade our printer has ceased to function.
The parallel port inkjet printer itself has been checked and found
to be OK.

We've tried removing/re-installing the printer via the KDE Printer
Wizard with some peculiar results.

ie.
In the Backend Selection page we selected "Local Printer"
but the Local Port selection fails to detect a valid port.

We've tried manual entry of the URI using both
parallel:/dev/lp0
and
ipp://localhost:631/printers
but both are rejected as not corresponding to a detected port.

If we ignore this error and insert one of the above in the URI
we can select our printer and are prompted to select from a list
of drivers. But some drivers are reported as missing or we don't
have the required permissions although we are root.
Selecting a driver, that past experience has shown we can use, allows
completion of the printer installation.
But the printer still does not print.

Doing lsmod reveals that both lp and parport modules are loaded.
We are using CUPS.

Any ideas anyone?

Keith