[LUG] a GIMP problem

One should not underestimate the power of GIMP but what I want to do
is simple and I cannot, even after studying the handbook for hours,
see how to do it. I have an image that was sent to me as a b/w gif
file and I want to convert it to a RGB file in colour. I have exported
the original file and saved it so that it says under the window that
it is RGB (previously it was indexed) but I still can't do a colour
exchange on it because the colour exchange filter is grayed out. It
seems to want to remain a two colour image. The image is some oak leaves
in black on a white ground (it's not unrelated to the National Trust)
and I want eventually to end with the oak leaves white on a green ground.
How do I get the colour exchange function to switch on?

Tony Sumner