Re: [LUG] brief diversion on drugs but let's get back to software

On Friday 11 February 2005 9:55 am, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:33:23 +0000

Henry Bremridge wrote:
Once someone comes up with a workable idea: antibiotics, airplanes. Then
I agree they need a monopoly to allow them to develop their idea and
obtain the rewards. (Lets face it, a drug is "software" for combatting a
disease: but one which cost about $1bn to develop and launch on to the
market.)

Ooohhhh.... I wouldn't mention drugs.  That opens up a really big can of
worms! The drug company may well have spent $1b to develop the drug, but do
they need a monopoly to "allow them to develop their idea"?

The testing of the drug costs the money, prior to marketing. The companies
currently do need a monopoly to artificially raise the price of the branded
drug above the costs of manufacture to reimburse the development costs.
However, there is nothing to say this is the single best solution - it's what
we are currently stuck with. If development was funded differently, patents
would be unnecessary but then we'd pay some other way.
(note: I work with pharmaceutical patents every single day).

It is never wise to compare the virtual world of software with models from the
physical world. Drugs will always cost money because they consume resources -
it is a physical thing, it has mass, it contains atoms and cannot be easily
copied. If you have one molecule of aspirin, you can't easily make another -
with software, one copy is completely sufficient to create millions of
identical copies.

Hasn't the
idea already been developed?

And published with the full structure of the molecule, as far as is known.

What about competition?  Since the drug is
likely to have been actually discovered by someone in the Scientific
community - albeit one that is payed by ACMECo - does that mean that their
discoveries should be hidden under a blanket of secrecy rather than shown
to the rest of the global scientific community?

It's not hidden at all - that's the thing with drug patents, they are not
comparable with software because the disclosure IS useful. With software, the
source code is rarely described let alone published.

Is it morally right that
the company that hired a particular scientist that discovered a method
(since that's all science really ever is) should be allowed to guard and
hide "their" discovery

They can guard it but they cannot reasonably hide it. The patent is based on
publication.

to the possible detriment of other *people* that
would have benefited from the method being a publicly disclosed (and
therefore others being able to manufacture the drug)?

True - this is the situation now, there's no reason to think that patents on
drugs are the best solution we can create.

But, this discussion is about software patents.

Yes, let's keep it there - I don't mind discussing drugs but not on this list.
:-)

Grant.

--

Neil Williams