Re: [LUG] If this wasn't so dangerous, you'd laugh.

Been reading Neil's last email before work.

There was an article in The Economist recently which (from what I recall) said that the reason for a patent was to give the developer a monopoly as a reward for time consuming and risky behaviour AND as a reward for development.

Once someone comes up with a workable idea: antibiotics, airplanes. Then I agree they need a monopoly to allow them to develop their idea and obtain the rewards. (Lets face it, a drug is "software" for combatting a disease: but one which cost about $1bn to develop and launch on to the market.)

At the other extreme I find it hard to justify a patent for 21(?) years for basic common sense (eg one click shopping on Amazon), and which it took about a day to obtain corporate approval, code, test and release.

I would have thought therefore that the answer is that with some patents, the barrier to the grant of the patent was made considerably higher