Re: [LUG] kde telephone dialer

Neil Williams wrote:

This also worked on Windows, I remember many times having a locked modem that disabled certain applications that wanted to send orders by modem. I got quite used to echo ATZ > com1
:-)

Messing about with modem init strings used to be quite a regular occurence in tech support in the days of Win 3.1 and 95. Yes there WAS the ubiquitous AT&FU2 if the customer was being a pain in the rear.. and no I didn't use it myself (although I did remove it a few times after it had been inserted before the customer could twig what it meant!) AT&FX3 ignores dial tone for those awkward ones that simply refused to dial despite death threats ;) AT&F%C0 cancels data compression (if it's a software modem slaughtering resources). There was a much longer one for specifying minimum and maximum connection speeds; AT&F%C0+MS=V90,1,9600, 57600 cancels compression, tells the modem not to connect below 9600 or above 57600. but it's 1am, and it's been 2 or 3 years since I've needed to use it :) IIRC there was also a command to echo the port to make sure that the port itself wasn't stuffed, but again it's 1am ;) ish. Something like 'echo ATDT >comX' where X was the port the modem was supposed to be on. If it came back with an error "Bye bye Mr/Mrs Customer your modem has gone night night." Oddly enough we got those a lot after thunderstorms where the little darlings had left their modems plugged into the phone lines. hmm.

Of course the other trick in Windows was to edit the win.ini and set the port speed above the damn silly default of 9600 which they hadn't bothered to change since Windows 3.1 (and probably still haven't!)

Kind regards,

Julian

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.6 - Release Date: 07/02/2005