[LUG] IPCop v Smoothwall

I spent ages trying to set up IPCop but it just wouldn't connect through the Creative router. I desperation I tried Smoothwall and within 10 minutes the system was up and working. Three questions:

Are they as effective as one another technically? Anyone tried both?

I used a twisted pair between laptop and the Box just for setting up. However, I have an ad hoc network with two boxes, plus a "flying" cable for the laptop if needs be, eth0 connected to a switch and then eth0 to the firewall box. Should this final cable be twisted?

TIA

David

Hatherleigh Devon

a GNU/Linux user