Re: [LUG] general hardware question?

Do you plan to buy a prebuilt machine, or is this going to be a
self-build?  With a self-build you get exactly what you want at a price
to suit your pocket, and you can buy kit which (you can research
beforehand) you know will work with Linux :)  The downside is obvious.

Ah yes, I have felt the presence of the downside, which is why I paid to have a
machine built, and thankfully I bought an on-site guarantee with it. This was duly
built and supplied, but has persistently failed to work despite repeated attention
of one sort or another. Recently I started using the word "refund", since when
"company X" have offered to rebuild the machine to a new, superior spec. rather than
lose my custom, hence my question.

I wanted (still want) an upgradeable machine capable of running modern games under
windows (my son of course, ahem), manipulating largish audio/video files, that I
could dual boot for internet, email, mp3 encoding and playback, sokoban and general
LAMP fun and games.

Either way, to start you off I would recommend Nvidia as the graphics
card choice.  Although I'm sure others will have found ATI to work
adequately, I found my old ATI card to be a nightmare, whereas Nvidia
provide (via download) a Universal driver that will run all the modern
Nvidia cards in (their website claims) all versions of Linux. :)  Also
Nvidia motherboards have a driver set you can download specifically for
Linux too.

Thanks, thats just the sort of information I seek. Any other pointers gratefully
received.