Re: [LUG] general hardware question?

James Barrett wrote:

I now can re-spec the machine.

Hi James,

Do you plan to buy a prebuilt machine, or is this going to be a self-build? With a self-build you get exactly what you want at a price to suit your pocket, and you can buy kit which (you can research beforehand) you know will work with Linux :) The downside is obvious. It requires more technical ability to build the machine, and the warranties will be with all the separate component suppliers, not just the one.

If you plan to buy a completed machine, I would recommend Compaq. Excellent build quality and good after-sales support. Converselly I would leave dust behind if anyone offered me a Packard Bell. A friend of mine repairs PCs and the bulk fo his work since Christmas has been reinstalling Windows / repairing Packard Bells bought from PC World. Granted it could be a bad batch - same time, same PC World - but I wouldn't take the chance personally.

Either way, to start you off I would recommend Nvidia as the graphics card choice. Although I'm sure others will have found ATI to work adequately, I found my old ATI card to be a nightmare, whereas Nvidia provide (via download) a Universal driver that will run all the modern Nvidia cards in (their website claims) all versions of Linux. :) Also Nvidia motherboards have a driver set you can download specifically for Linux too.

Kind regards,

Julian