Re: [LUG] Web browser query...

Anton Channing wrote:

| Hey, I don't mind!  Really this came about
| when I was looking for the directories
| they were in, so I could install a plugin.
| They all seemed to be in different places.

Plugins really ought to be packaged, or install themselves in the right
place.

Under Debian there is /etc/alternatives, just to complicate things. This
handles the case of where several different programs or plugins may
achieve the same effect. i.e. Which Java JVM should I use by default,
IBMs, SUNs, or Kaffe. But you don't need to know this to get everything
working in Debian, I mean who installed 3 JVMs apart for Java hackers.

| I didn't find a directory for
| Konqueror, but I did find its executable
| in /usr/bin/

In Konqueror, "Tools">"Configure Konqueror">"Plugins" shows the list of
places it looks.

My understanding is Konqueror doesn't really do plugins, it is suppose
to be integrated with the desktop (assuming you use KDE), so that the
way to handle a file type is a desktop wide thing.

Debian packages the Konqueror specific ones in konq-plugins, i.e. those
that specifically alter Konqueror rather than all of KDE. They are part
of "kde addons" for other systems. If you write webpages, or have an
interest in web accessibility they are great, others may find them less
useful. These days Firefox has similar, possibly better, plugins for
that sort of work. But accessibility people tend to use every browser
they can lay their hands on, so might as well have them.

| I dunno, the thing I find most confusing about
| linux is the file structure.  Its very esoteric.

Esoteric? Well it is documented, and published, and very little
different to all the other Unix like systems, so the knowledge is
transferable.

I wonder where C:\WINNT\System32\config\etc\ will be in 64 bit Windows
OSes not called Windows NT, where the disks are actually all grouped
into one logical disk? And as for what actually gets installed in the
$SystemRoot$ (which needs another way to refer to it because the name
used is too specific to the version of the OS). Familiarity stops us
thinking about things too much, which is why kids should be taught about
computing in general, not specifics.

Including disk names in file references is so 1960's ;)

The GNU/Linux names are abbreviated, but then only programmers and
system admins should need to know most of them. Historically end users
were well hidden from these things, and should still be.

| I'm sure once you become one of the enlightened
| ones in the inner circle

Or you read the documentation ;)

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

I get away with knowing files are;

files (or hardlinks)
directories
symlinks (actually these are directory entries)
something else....

and for directory layout
/etc/
/home/
/var/spool  (where email queues, print jobs live).
/var/log (where the answer to 90% of the problems I see is written when
I think to look)

the rest are mostly for programs, and data (and packages take care of
that) for 99% of what I do, even as a fulltime system admin.

Next you'll want all your critical data stored in 5 large files, updated
through an app that lets you edit the hexadecimal values directly. Spot
the bitter and twisted person, one of whoms registries didn't load after
patching a box this week (Yet another server reinstall ..zzzZZZZzzzZZZ).