Re: [LUG] OT Probabilities

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 23:27 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
If I win a game (against the computer), on average, 1 time in 4, how do I
calculate the probability of winning more than three games in a row?

(OK, I'm being lazy - I just know there's someone who'll have the answer.)

In general, if the "odds" of winning a game are n to 1, and remain the
same for each game, the odds of winning m games in a row are the product
of n, m times. Or n to the power of m.
In your case, if you win 1 game in 4, your odds of winning are 4 to 1.
Your odds of winning 4 games in a row (i.e. more than 3 in a row) are
just 4*4*4*4 to 1 = 256 to 1.

--
Matt <mknight@xxxxxxxxx>