Re: [LUG] Stupid mistake!

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:10:58 +0000
Grant Sewell wrote:

I just did something that I am really not proud of!

I had 2 harddrives in my machine.  GRUB was installed on hda (80Gb).  Originally
Mandrake was installed on this disk.  Since installing Debian on hdb (160Gb) I
have not booted into Mandrake for anything... so I figured that since hda wasn't
being used, I would take it out and put it to good use in the server I'm putting
together...

Anyone guess what I did wrong?  Yep!  I haven't installed a bootloader onto hdb.
Even sillier, I have already wiped the 80Gb drive (what was hda) so I haven't got
a bootloader that'll load it anyway!

I didn't have any parts of the Debian filesystem on hda, so everything is still
there, I just can't get it to boot.

I've tried firing up the Debian net-install (Sarge) CD, mounting the partition
that should be /, chrooting it, mounting all the other relevant partitions (/boot,
etc) and using:
grub-install /dev/hdb

And guess what!  When I reboot the machine (after setting the BIOS to look at
"hdd-1") it doesn't boot!

Anyone help here?  I am currently stranded, running on my laptop only!

Cheers.

Grant.

Crisis averted by sorting out another stupid mistake!

grub-install /dev/hdb did work.  And changing the BIOS back to hdd-0 showed that.
However, I forgot that GRUB's device naming scheme is somewhat different from
Linux's.  I didn't know that hd(0,0) points to the first partition of the *first
discovered drive*.  My original menu.lst had Debian's entry as hd(1,0), which it
would be being /dev/hdb... but once hda was removed, it *should* be hd(0,0).  Now
I'm confused, but the system is up again (writing this reply on the desktop, not the
laptop) so I'm happy.

Phew!  I hate it when I do stupid things!

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.