Re: [LUG] Developing the community

Bravo!

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:32:46 +0000, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 19 January 2005 5:19 pm, Terence McCarthy wrote:
My objection to the name GLUG is not that I object to RMS's stance on
Gnu/Linux, but that it is confusing to the non- Linux user who will
probably know absolutely nothing the reasons behind it. Linux they may
know- Gnu/Linux they won't. It's a pragmatic stance, not a philosophical
one.

I disagree that there is any role for confusion, it's about choice - see other
email.

This month's Linux Format (or is it User?) has a comparative review of some
dozen distributions- if I was curious about Linux this would turn me off
completely. It's just so confusing to someone new to FOSS. Are all these
Linux? If so, what is Linux? How do I get the right one?

GNU/Linux is about choice, about options. There IS no 'right one' that can be
determined in advance. There's nothing wrong with that. We cannot presume to
know what will suit any particular user best. It is their choice - we serve
only to put the options out there, advise on what the differences mean in
practice and let the user make an educated choice. That's sufficiently new
and unusual for most Windows users.
:-)

I think it's important to note that without either component part we
wouldn't have our great systems, but I also feel it's important that what
"Linux" is, as an OS, is as open, clear and obvious to those unfamiliar
with it. Call it Linux, and it's clarity is on a par with Apple and M$.

But OSX doesn't interface with Linux, it runs GNU.

Call it Linux in some places and Gnu/Linux in others will only lead to more
confusion than exists already.

It merely reflects the options that already exist. It is no good thinking that
we can ignore certain distributions from the portfolio just because,
personally, we don't like to use that one. There is no one Linux system and
that's a GOOD thing.

I also feel that many of those who argue for Gnu/Linux do so for reasons
that are not necessarily the best - there are many who roll their own
systems, never install anything they haven't compiled themselves, and
appear to believe that Linux should remain a geek preserve,

See later - it is imperative that new users become confident users who become
contributors - in whatever way. Not everyone can write code but nearly
everyone can write documentation or run the project website or answer simple
queries from new users on the project mailing lists.

I'm not arguing for a geek preserve but for users to recognise that they have
a contribution to make. Whatever you think of GNU/Linux, the system will die
if not enough new contributors are found to meet the needs of growth.

Everything about this group and others should be geared towards enabling
existing users to make a contribution. For some that will be encouraging new
members and new users, for others, it must include making their mark on the
wider community for the benefit of all.

in which of
course, they feel completely at home.

I argue for GNU/Linux for one simple reason: I believe it is the right thing
to do.

I don't write Linux software. I don't write software for Linux. I write GNU
software.

Others, and I am one of them, would
like to see Linux much more mainstream, because it is a broad church and
need exclude no-one.

Dead right. There's nothing wrong with being mainstream as long as sufficient
new users are motivated to understand the principles behind the OS and to
help out.

We cannot afford to have lots of new users who never grow in experience and
never contribute. They aren't paying for the system, there are no means to
magically increase the number of people to answer their queries without those
new users themselves taking on the mantle of making a contribution.

This isn't a commercial enterprise with one conglomerate in charge. We are a
community and we need to foster diversity, choice, options and knowledge. We
must respect the other disciplines within the whole and that means giving
credit where it is due.

The community comes first, let's not get into a race of chasing new users at
the expense of keeping the revolution / evolution rolling. Arguably OS/2 did
that, and Apple had their days of trying the same technique. No, growth will
come from developing current users in the community to a point where as many
as possible contribute regularly in any way they can.

Growth will stall as soon as the demands of users outstrip the capacity of the
developers. This is a voluntary effort and if you push developers too hard,
the project can die. Corporate models can generate more cash as they grow and
therefore employ more developers. Free software must recruit more developers
from the existing base on a voluntary basis and they can leave as quickly as
they join.

I've seen this happen on certain projects. The developers spend so long
answering queries on mailing lists from new users who don't or won't read the
FAQ, that future development stagnates. Releases get missed, the code gets
patchy and messy. Finally, the project either has to do a Netscape -> Mozilla
style re-write from the ground up or just die. Sadly, most in this situation
just die. Keeping a large project alive during a full scale rewrite is not
easy.

All it takes to keep these projects running is for a few of the more confident
users to answer some of the more banal queries on behalf of the developers.

That is exactly what happens on this list - new people pop up regularly who
answer queries that others would have answered in the past. That frees up
time for whatever else those people need to do.

All I seek is for everyone on this list to contribute in every whichever way
they can to this list and to others. Every project is asking for help, every
project needs people with a variety of skills. One of the most pressing needs
for almost every project is DOCUMENTATION. If you can use the program and
describe that in an email, you can write the docs.

These little, simple things make an immense contribution because every page of
documentation reduces the number of repetitive queries from new users. All it
needs is for members of this list to speak up on other mailing lists for
their favourite program or utility and offer their help. Be clear what you
can and cannot do, be honest if you don't have much time and just make
yourself known.

Even a few hours a month could make an enormous difference to a small project.

Consider things like:
1. docs
2. Bug triage - just using the latest version of the software and trying to
reproduce the bugs described in the reports. If it's not reproducible, it
reduces the workload of the developers.
3. Mailing list - user and devel. Get involved with any project you feel you
can use confidently. There are lots of people who join mailing lists to ASK,
be one of those precious people who join mailing lists to ANSWER.
4. Websites. If your favourite project has a lack-lustre website, offer to
help.
5. If you have coding experience, say so and please use it. You don't have to
have a project of your own, just pick a favourite project that appears to use
code that you can understand and offer to help. Be clear about what you can
do. If, like me, your GUI skills are laughable, say so and work on the
backend code instead.

From the occasional and casual web browser to the
geekiest geek of all the geeks, Linux has the power to be what each of us
wants it to be.

That cannot ever be achieved without making dozens of slightly different
flavours of GNU/Linux to meet differing needs. To truly meet the needs of
each user (rather than squash them into a MSOffice straightjacket), you must
provide endless options and choice on and within the base system. Such choice
is necessary, beneficial and healthy.

We're all different - the greatest insult anyone can make is to think that we
can all use a single system.

I back Debian to the hilt, but I appreciate that some users are better off
with others. Some users will always be better off with Windows - there's no
harm in that. There's no point in trying to bankrupt MS, there is everything
to gain from keeping Windows developers on their toes and showing what can be
done.

We should be endevouring to make Linux open and accessable to all, and

Absolutely. We only differ on how to achieve that aim.

anything that leads to confusion, uncertainty or doubt will hinder that.

Untrue. Restricting choice will make it utterly impossible to make GNU/Linux
open and accessible to all. One system will NEVER fit all, neither will half
a dozen.

--

Neil Williams

~ Ben Goodger