Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton Booked week earlier

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 9:06 pm, Ben Goodger wrote:
Next time can we have something in Plymouth or something? An hour and
a half is not really very convenient for a Thursday night.

Meetings can be arranged by any group member, find a venue, let us all know
and put it on the dcglug website events list. (members area).

We have had meetings in Plymouth but Paul has a regular venue that he can
arrange quickly and easily. If we come up with somewhere (and someone) like
that in Plymouth (and Exeter and Truro/Falmouth), we'd probably have more
meetings all over the area.

Everyone wants more meetings, everyone tries to attend those meetings that are
within reach. Unfortunately, Devon and Cornwall is a large and awkward area
to cover. Public transport is poor, members are spread over the entire
geographical area and beyond . . .  We try to have as many meetings as we can
but it's rare to have a meeting that gets >12 people because of the pressures
of distance. Most meetings get between 4 and 10 people.

Also..
Is there anything anyone can suggest to force my Computing teacher to
accept Open Source?

No-one should ever be forced to use open source - thereagain, no-one should be
forced to not use open source or to only use proprietary. It's open and it's
free because it's about more than cost; it is about freedom and choice.

We are here to help persuade, it can take a long time.

Find out if a room is available for a meeting and invite current staff along.
We don't need access to the existing network, although it would be nice to
have access to the internet, we've had successful meetings many times with
only the software we can bring along and a few judicious extension leads to
the mains. (The Paignton venue is the same, no internet connection and
limited electrical sockets.)

--

Neil Williams