Re: [LUG] /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Grant Sewell wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:09:13 +0000
Keith Abraham wrote:

Running ps aux give the following process which is using up about 30% of
CPU time on my Debian system.

/usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth

Any idea what this is and how to stop it hogging CPU usage?

Keith

That would be your X server... part of the GUI.

The "-nolisten tcp" means that it won't accept any incoming TCP connections, so it's only serving to the local machine (ie yours) using Unix sockets rather than network sockets... no-one else can connect their machine to your graphical session.

_man 1 Xserver_ has the following about "-auth":

specifies a file which contains a collection of authorization records used to authenticate access. See also the xdm and Xsecurity manual pages.

So, my guess is that -auth means that the GUI login manager must be started.

Grant/

Thanks Grant but I've just looked at the boot logs and they
show that I've somehow managed to get ISDN services running
on my system. (I'm using ADSL)

It looks to me as if the ISDN services were started during boot
and when no connection was made the process went background.

So I removed all ISDN services and everything is back to normal.

I did a big system update from Debian today and I think somehow
I must have loaded/started the ISDN stuff.

Keith