Re: [LUG] Compaq Laptop. R3307EA

John Daragon wrote:

Hi All,

I now have the laptop, Windows XP Home immediately removed, Windows 2000 installed. I then put Mandrake 10.0 on it.

Broadcom 802.11g - I had to use Win32 drivers and ndiswrapper. That may now have changed

Network loaded www.google.com without a twitch so that looks fine.

Sound - was non-intuitive. I'll look it up if you need me to. I still don't have the MIDI synthesiser working.

Mine has the Soundmax (Soundblaster Pro comp.) onboard which Linux found. Curiously Windows 2000 didn't which is a pain in the you-know-what.

Card readers - If you find out anything please let me know

Doesn't have one I'm sorry. However I do know that enabling Multiple LUNs in the kernel is part of the fix. Have a look at Sitecom's website for the installation guide for their reader. May give you some tips :)

Trackpad - works out of the box, except for the segregated bit on the right which scrolls in the Win32 version.

Doesn't work at all. Could you please tell me what you have in the XF86Config-4? Mine currently says (for the mouse)

Section  "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I strongly suspect the Protocol of being wrong. Having said that I just noticed the Device is '/dev/mouse' which no longer exists in 2.6.* kernels. Should this be '/dev/input/mouse0', or '/dev/input/mice'?

The annoying thing I find (with every install of Mandrake btw) is that it worked during the installation. Only when I rebooted at the end and started the system proper did it stop. Every time I've installed Mandrake I've had this, that it does the opposite in the install to how it behaves in practise.

Kind regards,

Julian