Re: [LUG] How to configure LILO

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:56:22 +0000
Tony Sumner wrote:

I put this in

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21
      label=Libranet
      read-only
      root=/dev/hda4

but then /sbin/lilo says it can't see /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21. I can't find
anything helpful in the Lilo Howto. What to do?

Tony Sumner

You're on the right path...

You need to copy the kernel image from hda4 into your RedHat's /boot directory.
What I usually do is this:

+ Have all kernels from all installed Linux OSs in one directory on my primary
system's /boot partition.
+ Name all kernels so I know which system they're for, eg, libranet-kernel-2.4.21.
+ Add entries to my lilo.conf file reflecting all systems currently installed, eg:

image=/boot/mandy9.1-kernel-2.4.xx
     label=Mandy_9.1
     read-only
     root=/dev/hda1
     append="hdc=ide-scsi"
image=/boot/mandy10.1-kernel-2.6.xx
     label=Mandy_10.1
     read-only
     root=/dev/hdb1
     append="hdc=ide-scsi"
image=/boot/slackware-kernel-2.6.xx
     label=Slackware
     read-only
     root=/dev/hdb2

I would also do the same with initrd files.

I suggest you boot into RedHat.  Mount your Libranet partition(s).  Copy the kernel
into RedHat's /boot directory, and rename the kernel file to something sensible.
Copy any initrd files from your Libranet partition into the RedHat /boot directory,
and rename them sensibly too.  Edit your lilo.conf file to reflect all of this.
Rerun lilo to instate the changes.  Reboot.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.