Re: [LUG] Distros

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 10:11 +0000, Richard Brown wrote:

Anyway, what I thought I would do is feedback on the use of Lindows 4.5.

Do check the archive here for discussion on Lindows.

Does it still run so many things as root?

The problem here is it is a minority OS, and has had some very bad press
due to bad design decisions, and your good experience is probably mainly
down to your setup happening to be fully supported out of the box.

If you search around you'll find others with similar good experiences of
Redhat / Mandrake / SUSE, where everything "just worked", but if you are
selling computers you have the choice of picking hardware that will
"just work".

Obviously there are issues where people have chosen to use Free software
(Redhat / Debian), but few people realise the drawbacks of non-free
software till they start trying to distribute it commercially.

When I put a dvd into the dvd drive it opened a web browser
and took me to the Lindows web site. The site then informed me that
should I wish to play a dvd I would have to download the dvd player. It
informed me of all the costs involved. It really was effortless.

People are going to expect DVD playback to just work, not to have to pay
extra.

Given the findings of above I would say that Linux is ready for the
desktop.

Some of us have been using it as a preferred desktop OS for many years.

--
"When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just
stare at you blankly and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for