Re: [LUG] Synaptic and others

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:45:22 +0000
Richard Brown wrote:

Hi

Lindows has just installed synaptic. But of course it didn't install it
to the menu. Where will I find it and how do I install it to the menu?

Thanks

Rich

If you've *just* installed Synaptic, then it probably won't be in your menu until
you restart KDE/Gnome/whatever.  Try that first.  If that fails, then try:

Synaptic should only be run as root - I don't know how this fits in with Lindow's
view of users (is the only/default user root or another username with root's
privileges?).  But, anyway, as such it will be in root's PATH.  I have a button on
my "taskbar" that runs this: "gksu -u root /usr/sbin/synaptic" although "kdesu -u
root /usr/sbin/synaptic" will also work if you want a QT/KDE root-authentication
box.  If it doesn't appear after restarting (logging out/in) of KDE/Gnome, then you
can edit the menu and add the above as a new button.

Grant.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.