Re: [LUG] Express & Echo campaign against internet dialling scams

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 02:22, Adrian Midgley wrote:
Chris Mills is the reporter.
If I have time I'll tell him that it isn't th 'Net that is the problem, it
is
the drafts blowing through Windows' security, and that there is a better
alternative.

I personally don't think it is just a windows fault (but that contributes to
the problem) but rather ignorance and stupidity, many scams require you to
click, run or do something and some are more clever using windows holes.  But
if people can receive a fax entitled "fed up of receiving fax spam..... fax
back to 09xxxxx" and are all ready to fax it back to a many quid a minute
number that lasts for 500 seconds then what hope do we have stopping them
from doing stupid stuff. If they had linux and were told to do a rm / -r
--force cause it makes the system faster would they still do it?

--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx