RE: [LUG] hardware: webcams (information)

Quoting "Brough, Tom" <Tom.Brough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Downloaded latest kernel for FC2 last night kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.rpm IIRC.
sn9c102.ko comes as part of the kernel tree. (didnt even need to compile
the
source).
Suprised that FC3 doesnt support it do you have the latest kernel installed
?

For source you need http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/news/

You where lucky I went to buy another today in the Torbay branch and found
out that the BOGOF deal had just ended .... talk about bad timing ..... :-(

Note that the driver uses V4L2 and not V4L. The driver has been around for
while but I really needed support for Gnomemeeting hence the wait for
gnomemeeting-1.2.

See http://www.gnomemeeting.org

usual dependancy hell that goes on with "latest and greatest" / RH the
trick
(if your a FC2 user that is) is to "pinch" the pwlib-plugins-v4l2 from the
Suse 9.1 download set as its not supplied as part of FC2 download set. I
think this is because V4L2 is support in gnomemeeting is marked as
experimental and RH tend to be on the cautious side even with FC. Well
anyway it worked for me !

Now if I could only persaude someone to resurrect opent120 project and get
and api for T.126 protocol and then I could have remote whiteboarding as
well.

Its a shame because NetMeeting has this already I would like to see
gnomemeeting going from being a good tool for video conferencing to being a
very good tool for colaborative remote working. My "Big Idea" for the
comming year is to get a school in country A linked up with a school in
country B using where ever possible GNU/Linux tools. Time will tell.

Anyway, if you are still struggling after trying the above drop me an email
off list.

Tom.

Thanks for the advice Tom.  I bought this camera because they were cheap and
it seemed to be better supported than my ViewQuest M318B which although
worked, had a very bad yellow tint to the image and I just didn't want to mess
around fine tuning settings.

I'll have a look for that driver tonight.  I downloaded the nw802 package, got
it compiled but had no end of problems getting it going, then found that I
didn't have anything supporting V4L installed!

Do you know if Gnomemeeting supports MSN messenger?  I have a friend on MSN
messenger who I chat to on the web cam in Windows, and although she could
probably use Netmeeting, I think she'd prefer to use MSN as its easy for her,
not to mention I think I had problems with setting up ports with Netmeeting
last time I tried it.

I like your idea of the video conferencing between schools, I remember when I
was at school, about 11/12 years ago now the nearest sort of thing they had
was just writing letters and sending pictures to a school in France, I suppose
nowadays it would be just as easy to link the two schools up for lessons etc
just using a webcam and a high speed net connection.

Rob