Re: [LUG] Software Patents - do you want Fisheries Ministers to decide?

who / what are the EC council?

I see if I can find the address of Adrian Sanders one of the torbay MP's and write
experessing my objection to software patents, and what seems by this the total
mockery of democracy we have on this subject.

Paul
Aaron Trevena <dclug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

No really,

The EC Council has decided that its better to bamboozle some environment
and fisheries ministers into agreeing to bypass the consensus of the EU
Parliament and pass the Software Patent legislation without further
discussion.

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/54199

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/12/13/1248202.shtml?tid=155&tid=219

http://kwiki.ffii.org/Cons041213En

Not good news, our government ought to be ashamed.

FFII reccomend writing to
a) Your MP
b) Lords Sainsbury
c) Peter Mandelson

I have already written to my MP on the subject, as well as about ID Cards.
Luckily we have plenty of Liberal Democrat MP's in cornwall who are quite
sensible about these things. Others may be able to try and persuade people
like Candy Atherton (Falmouth & Cambourne) that neither town will benefit
from software patents and how much harm they will do.

If even a handful of us write to the correct people and make our points
well, combined with the press and others we can possibly shame them into
doing the right thing.

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena - Perl Hacker, Kung Fu Geek, Internet Consultant
AutoDia --- Automatic UML and HTML Specifications from Perl, C++