Re: [LUG] Yahoo Messenger on Mandrake 10

Julian Hall wrote:

Hi All,

Trying to install Yahoo Messenger on MDK10.0.

Reason is simple. Kopete refuses point blank to accept my Yahoo password (although it logs me in fine to ICQ which none of my friends use anymore!). I know for a fact I am supplying the correct password as it works in Windows' Yahoo Messenger, therefore Kopete is at fault.

So, trying to install YIM for Linux. I tried the RH9 version of YIM but every time I execute /usr/bin"ymessenger it repeatedly asked me to setup the program and never actually ran it. Then I found a website which said for MDK10 use the RH8 version as the RH9 version seg faults. So I uninstalled rhw RH9 version and put the RH8 version on.

Guess what? It seg faulted!!

So I have two choices:

1.  Figure out why Kopete is screwing up logging me into Yahoo.
2.  Find a version of YIM that works in Mandrake 10.

I did try to run the Windows version under WINE but that wasn't very happy at all, probably a DLL I have to import or something. I'm already on the WINE HQ mailing list as well so I'm not expecting any of you to scratch your heads over that one (unless you happen to know WINE? :))

Kind regards,

Julian

I got Yahoo Messenger working on Mandrake, can't remember exactly how I did it, but once it was installed I found it to not be a patch on Yahoo messenger for Windows. Have you considered Gaim? The latest version is quite nice and supports Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, AIM etc.

Rob