Re: [LUG] drivers; business models

On Saturday 11 December 2004 10:59, Simon Avery wrote:

Scanner drivers...
Actually, they *were* included with XP Professional. The scanner was
second hand, no driver disk or manual. XP ships with a whole bunch of
hardware drivers included.

This is true up to a point, and is an interesting part of a piece of FUD that
the makers of XP did put about...

When MS is about to release (say 1-3 years) a new version they will ask
(demand, permit, whatever) hardware suppliers to give them drivers to add tot
he launch system.

THose drivers are likely to be incompletely evolved, not least since the
hardware manufacturers will only get a look at an early iteration of the new
OS version, before they are required to provide code, and it is unpredictable
how much change will occur.

So we see the result when I setup a new PC for a relative, with XP on it and
with new hardware for some things, but also with _old_ hardware for others -
printing for instance, or when I moved one of our machines (the one with the
HP scanner attached to it as it happens, and scanner software) from W98 to
W2k.

In each case the current drivers had to be sought on the Internet, and
downloaded and installed, before the system was remotely satisfactory.

It is rather under-emphasised that the drivers included in a new issue of a
microsoft system are commonly a sort of placeholder, or sketch, and that one
needs to acquire the finished version in order to actually do stuff with the
hardware.  But that appearance of completeness and recognition does provide a
feeling of function.

Criticising what's probably the world's leading manufacturer on
printers/scanners (HP) for not doing something is going to be ignored.
Two years ago HP made US$ 2 000 000 from Open Source operations.  THey are
unlikely to ignore that or anything that is _commercially_ associated with
it.
Their model for such things is, as I understand it, that Linux drivers for
scanners are a cost of business, and the question of how much effort they put
into them resolves to the value of the business.

So expect to see Linux drivers for the more serious scanners, and for those
that are easy because they have become standardised, but don't expect to see
any HP involvement in making drivers for the back market of scanners that
have been sold some time ago.

Expect to see drivers for equipment that is available for business, SOHO, SME
or whatever, to the extent that people are using that hardware in business
and using GNU/Linux on the desktop.

But who says what level of compatibility a product must achieve before
it gets a sticker? Ie, a All-in-one printer/scanner/copier might only
have printer support under linux (real world examples of this), yet that
is "compatible". To have some form of faith and identity, a scheme like
this needs to be protected.

Or there needs to be documentation available of exactly what level of support
is certified.  Stickers etc are copyright anyway.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley          GP  Exeter              www.defoam.net
Open Source is a necessary but not of itself sufficient condition.