Re: [LUG] Some discrepancies in the (G)LUG...

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 20:03 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:

In the specific order of posting isn't necessarily... erm, necessary.
Several *hours* (and there have been 1 or 2 occasions when it's actually
days) between a posting and it appearing are, in my opinion, a bit off.
It certainly doesn't take that long to route the traffic, even if the
actual message does go via Kuala Lumpur.  So unless some messages are
taking a bit of a scenic route via a mail relay server that is having
an off day, it shouldn't happen.

Anyone here that runs relay servers got any thoughts as to why this
would/should/could happen?

You'd be surprised what a high volume of mail doesn't reach the most
preferred mail exchanger first time, so that it's either sent off to the
next highest MX or held for a retry later.  I'd guess that it's 20%,
others may have other ideas.

Alex.