Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

Quoting Matt Lee <matt@xxxxxxxx>:

* A decent browser and only one browser. Firefox is this.

Yep, I'd agree with this, although I find it isn't as responsive on Suse 9.1
as Mozilla is, maybe its just my PC tho.

* A decent email client, doesn't need too many features. I've not seen
this.
Apple OS X Mail is this.

Thunderbird is pretty good.  Evolution is good as in probably easier for
Outlook users to pick up and use.

* A media player that just works. Works in the browser as a plugin too -
plays media from Windows Media, Real, QuickTime, plus the free formats
(Theora, etc). Think QuickTime.

Isn't Windows Media closed source and needs a licence from Microsoft?

* Debian on crack packaging - use deb to deliver updates in a way that's
simple. I don't care if perl 4.4.232.32.23.3.23.23.32.131.3.5343.43 is out.
I just want it wrapped in with a bunch of other updates nicely packaged as
'Software Update for 10th Dec 04'

Can't say I've seen this too well in Windows XP, okay they have security
updates but I installed XP Pro SP2 on a PC yesterday and it still needed about
4 separate updates, and more after .NET framework and Media Player were
installed.  Oh the joy, constant reboots after each update!

* Photo organisation - I should be able to plug in my camera, have my
photos
sucked onto my computer and filed into nicely organised albums.

Does this work in Windows?  Only thing I get when I plug my digital camera up
is a file browser window.

Things could be worse than they already are... they could have a Windows 3.1
interface!

Rob