[LUG] MS / OpenOffice question.

Hi everyone,
Annoying question time.
I'm trying to get my head around how to get MS word to open OpenOffice xml
files.
I can open word xml files in OO but it seems not the other way around.
This strikes me as strange - don't know why when MS are involved I should be
used to it by now :)
I thought that if an xml document was correctly formed then anything that can
open xml documents could open it and work on it - please correct me if I'm
wrong here.
My guess is that regardless of all the marketing crap I've read about MS and
xml, that word can't actually open/import xml documents correctly.

Could someone kindly put me out of my misery here.
Can word work with xml documents or not ?

As you may have gathered using MS word isn't exactly one of my strong
points :) but I need to be able to have some of my documents editable by word
users and I thought that since xml was xml then they'd have no problems. Okay
so they have to uncompress my OO files to get at the xml but that's no biggy
- or so I thought.

I'm hoping that there's an xml guru here abouts that can explain this to me.

TIA.
Jon