Re: [LUG] Compiling CUPS 1.1.22

On Thursday 02 December 2004 14:51, Julian Hall wrote:

Hi again,

Quick update:

Configure now *seems* to work (as root) but 'make' and 'make install'
both fall over, using my normal login, with permissions errors as below:

[julian@xxxxxxx cups-1.1.22]$ make
chmod: changing permissions of `cups-config': Operation not permitted
make: *** [all] Error 1
[julian@xxxxxxx cups-1.1.22]$ make install
/usr/bin/install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/include/cups':
Operation not permitted
make[1]: *** [installhdrs] Error 1
make: *** [installhdrs] Error 1
[julian@xxxxxxx cups-1.1.22]$

If I try 'make' and 'make install' as root I get the errors I sent in
the first email.

If you have run make and or configure as root then you have probably created
files that only root can overwrite, so that makes sense.  Choices at this
point, either run ./configure and make as root (not ideal) or delete all the
source tree and unpack the tar ball again and start from fresh.

When you run ./configure are there any warnings or libs not found eg things
with ssl in the title might be somthing to look for as that was what the
error was related too in the previous post, they might not appear as critical
errors and stop the configure but have a look anyway.

Finaly do you have a libssl and libssl-devel installed (or somthing similar)
and upto date on your system, clearly the build process if finding some kind
of ssl headers as the compiler is not flaking but it appears that the ssl
libs are not even being attempted to be linked at link time.
--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx