Re: [LUG] Compiling CUPS 1.1.22

On 02/12/04 13:54:12, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I've bought a new printer, an Epson Photo Stylus R200, which linuxprinting.org says works with Linux bar PJL, which I'm not too worried about. However one guy said it was best to upgrade CUPS and Gimp-Print. I've been brave (for ME anyway ;)) and downloaded the source tarballs for each, mainly because I couldn't find any RPMs *grumble*. Gimp Print worked OK, at least it seems to have gone through the configure, make and make install relatively unscathed. However CUPS is being a pain up the bum.

It fails at the first hurdle, refusing to configure. Any ideas gratefully received :)

Linking libcups.so.2...
/bin/ln: creating symbolic link `libcups.so' to `libcups.so.2': Operation not permitted
make[1]: *** [libcups.so.2] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

looks like you are 'making' not 'configuring', if so you probably need to do 'make install' as root, 'make' should be able to be done as a normal user.

--
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\