Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux Pt 2.

Robin Cornelius wrote:

On Monday 29 November 2004 21:10, Rob Beard wrote:

My web cam is a Viewquiet Tech M318B camera which was supplied with an old Time K6/2 450 PC. The camera works nicely under Windows, ut's a USB device, and I think I've been fairly lucky to find a driver which works under a 2.6 kernel, compiles and even works!

Now, I'm wondering, how do I start the module on startup? It seems a bit long winded to open a terminal, run su and then type in a command line with options to start the driver.

Assuming the driver is a video for linux type driver V4L and it results in a /dev/video0 interface for you to use add for following to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias /dev/video0 thenameofyourmodule

if the module needs options also add

options thenameofyourmodule option=value

This type of thing should work for most modules, i think. I am not quite sure how it starts but i assume that when a program attemts to access /dev/video0 it will kick the module if it is not loaded and everthing just works. This is certainly true for my wintv card and that is how i load the modules at boot.

Anyway, apart from that everything has been a positive expeirience.

Oh, futher to my asking about DVD Shrink, it does work under Wine, but it doesn't seem to work as well as under Windows. I don't mind dual booting for now until I find a similar alternative.

Wine (by its nature) is unprectible, one week it works well next week not at all the following in between, keep trying!

Thanks Robin,

I've added the commands to /etc/modprobe.conf.local (it said in modprobe.conf about adding my own lines to the local file).

I'm trying to download some updates at the moment (roll on getting broadband in a week or two!) so I'll leave rebooting until tomorrow evening, but touch wood it'll work.

Rob