Re: [LUG] a (fast) progression

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 19:31, Adrian Midgley wrote:
Two years ago, Microsoft sold their software on the argument that of course it
was more expensive, because it was better, and you get what you pay for, have
top pay for quality etc.

One year ago, Microsoft sold their software on the basis that the free
(Free/Libre/Open) software that you didn't have to buy licences for was
actually more expensive.  This was actually an abandonment of the claim their
software was better.

This year, they sell their software on the basis that if people (governments!)
don't buy it, they will be sued.
That appears to be an abandonment of the claims that the software is cheaper
(in TCO) as well as abandoning the claim that it is better.

My understanding of business is that you are unlikely to profit much for long
by threatening your customers.

My understanding of politics is that governments retain to themselves a
response they deny to businesses, "the last argument of kings", and dislike
being threatened.

Unless MS owns a sizeable government they could find themselves in more
trouble than they need.

I think Microsoft are unwinding their development strategy and getting
ready to be king of IP. They have practically abandoned IE (while
maintaining IP if i am correct.... now who else has tried that trick ahh
yes our old friends SCO)  and I wonder what will be sold (err rented ?)
off next in the MS treasure trove.

There are three main trading blocks USA, Europe and Far East (ok there
are others too but these are the most powerful). USA is already licked,
Europe will be if they don't watch out, so that leaves the Far East
block, time to roll out the FUD machine (Ballmer V3.?).

Of course you will know this is all true and not just rumour or guess
work or speculation on my part when you can see that MS employs more
lawyers than programmers !!!

But at least the Polish government has gone up in my estimation.

by the way your mention of fast wasn't anything to do with the
Federation against software theft by any chance ?

In the mean time this is all off course part of toms global conspiracy
theory ... however I reserve the right to say "I told you so" TM
later... right !!!!!

Tom.