Re: [LUG] M$ Threatens To Sue Asia-For Running Linux!

Sadie Brinham wrote:

http://reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=KPBNIU4SC4Z4SCRBAEKSFFA?type=technologyNews&storyID=6852759

Quoting the article:

Ballmer said the security fears some governments had about using Microsoft software were overblown.

"We think our software is far more secure than open-source software. It is more secure because we stand behind it, we fixed it, because we built it. Nobody ever knows who built open-source software," he said.

Let's examine these statements:

"We think"... presumably "we" also think the world is flat, which is equally fanciful :) Saying Windows is more secure than Open Source software is, in my opinion, akin to saying a chihuahua is a better guard dog than a Doberman. The former may have a chance of tripping up a thief, but that's about all the hope it's got.

As for "we built it so we can fix it", that's only because they know where they put the bugs in the first place!

"Nobody ever knows who built open-source software." Gooodddd.... if there is no defined target, no hacker or other unscrupulous group can bring the system to it's knees with an attack! :) Whereas the nice big buildings in Seattle, Reading etc are all too obvious targets for those who wish Microsoft harm. One concerted DDOS and Seattle goes belly-up.. so where exactly would one target a DDOS to bring Linux down? There *is* no such target.

Evidently Mr Ballmer is forgetting the central concept that ArpaNet grew from, that being that dissemination is far better than a central nexus (which for any of you who play Warhammer will know obeys the "large target" rules :)).

Kind regards,

Julian