Re: [LUG] a (fast) progression

Two years ago, Microsoft sold their software on the argument that of course it
was more expensive, because it was better, and you get what you pay for, have
top pay for quality etc.

One year ago, Microsoft sold their software on the basis that the free
(Free/Libre/Open) software that you didn't have to buy licences for was
actually more expensive.  This was actually an abandonment of the claim their
software was better.

This year, they sell their software on the basis that if people (governments!)
don't buy it, they will be sued.
That appears to be an abandonment of the claims that the software is cheaper
(in TCO) as well as abandoning the claim that it is better.

My understanding of business is that you are unlikely to profit much for long
by threatening your customers.

My understanding of politics is that governments retain to themselves a
response they deny to businesses, "the last argument of kings", and dislike
being threatened.

Unless MS owns a sizeable government they could find themselves in more
trouble than they need.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/