Re: [LUG] M$ Threatens To Sue Asia-For Running Linux!

Julian Hall wrote:
Sadie Brinham wrote:

http://reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=KPBNIU4SC4Z4SCRBAEKSFFA?type=technologyNews&storyID=6852759

Quoting the article:

Ballmer said the security fears some governments had about using Microsoft software were overblown.

It's track record isn't that good.

"We think our software is far more secure than open-source software. It

Simply a statement of opinion.

is more secure because we stand behind it, we fixed it, because we built

Apart from the "we fixed it" bit this is pure non sequitur.

it. Nobody ever knows who built open-source software," he said.

Actually the opposite is true, with open source software typically the writer is the copyright holder. With quite a lot of proprietary software the copyright holder is a corporate entity with there being no indication even if the writer is an employee or contractor, let alone if they still work there. In addition software piracy appears to be fairly common with proprietary software, though with less chance of being detected if only other proprietary software is pirated.

Let's examine these statements:

"We think"... presumably "we" also think the world is flat, which is equally fanciful :) Saying Windows is more secure than Open Source software is, in my opinion, akin to saying a chihuahua is a better guard dog than a Doberman. The former may have a chance of tripping up a thief, but that's about all the hope it's got.

As for "we built it so we can fix it", that's only because they know where they put the bugs in the first place!

Often an independent third party can help with finding bugs. In the same way that proofreading of a piece of fiction is often best done by someone other than the author.

Anyway security is not the same as functionality. "Debugging" tends to be primarily concerned with making a program function correctly.