Re: [LUG] a diversion on Linux and knowledge [Was: A Debian diary]

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 00:46, Adrian Midgley made an essentially random
pasting of:
http://www.stockport-lmc.org.uk/hydegpsq.doc
Please ignore it.

Serendipity and the Clipboards

There is a story that if you look stuff up in the literature, 75% of the time
the _next_ item in the journal or book will be of significant interest.   It
isn't surprising really, and I suppose that one design aim for electronic
document/publication retreval systems should be to avoid losing that to the
search for tight focus.

on my clipboard this moment is this which is interesting for three reasons.
 (PLOS is good; Textpresso looks good - semantic web stuff; Textpresso runs
on Linux and wil be released under GPL]

Textpresso: An Ontology-Based Information Retrieval and Extraction System for
Biological Literature
Hans-Michael Muller, Eimear E. Kenny, Paul W. Sternberg
    With the increasing availability of full-text scientific papers online,
new tools, such as Textpresso, will help to extract information and knowledge
from research literature.
+ Synopsis: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0020343
+ Full-text: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0020309

A moiety of us will be interested by following that.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/