Re: [LUG] A debian diary

On Sunday 14 November 2004 9:12 am, Richard Brown wrote:
1. I have a Broadband connection through a Netgear. What I would like
to do is to do an install over ftp. So what do I have to download first
to make a boot disk?

A cover disc can provide the initial image for a CDR. Otherwise, download a CD
image from Debian and burn to a CDR yourself. Unlike other distributions, you
don't need a specific version of Debian - the software on the CDR can be
quite old but apt will take care of upgrading to the latest version.

2. Then what next? You seem to load kdm first and then realise that you
needed an x windows running?

Decide if you want to stay with Debian stable or move to testing or unstable.
More on the debian site.

Once the install is complete:
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-cache search xserver
etc.
When you find the packages you need:
# apt-get install package_name

3. The box has 64mb Ram and a 2 gig hd. I want to run it as a back-up
server and a test bed for MySql/PHP apps.

Then you don't need X at all.

I need to back up rather
large Quick Time movies. Can I install a 160 gig hard drive at a later
date or do I need to do it immediately?

Any time. You set up the mount options using /etc/fstab like any other system.

Repeat apt-get update apt-get upgrade on a regular basis - I use cron-apt to
do this for me.
apt-get install cron-apt

--

Neil Williams