Re: [LUG] A debian diary

On Sunday 14 November 2004 8:11 am, Tony Sumner wrote:
A --  on a Dell laptop

1   Neil Williams installed debian Woody from CD for me. There was
    no X - an error message like 'no configured screen' - but there
    is a debian system and Neil takes me through the apt basics.

By the sounds of it, one thing I neglected to mention was that the entire
Package List is always available on Debian:
$ apt-cache seach xserver

3   I decided to give up on the laptop and try installing on a desktop
    instead, again from the .iso image.

The same thing will install the X server on the laptop as on the desktop.
However, laptops classically require manual tinkering with the X
configuration. You can read more on this on the DCLUG site:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_news/dist-reviews/mandrake/neil-laptop.php
(amongst others).

--

Neil Williams