Re: [LUG] DATABASE FOR LINUX

On Monday 08 November 2004 13:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:

 there is not
at the moment anything ... equivalent
to Paradox or Access.
 ... none of them is self-contained.

... < 100,000 records. And all clients will expect a GUI front end. If
anyone has found such a program for Linux I would be very grateful to
hear about it.

You want the Emacs of databases rather than the Vi.

I'm not convinced that this is actually as it is represented though.
I did some work with Access and Visual Basic, and I'm not so convinced this is
a single self-contined program.

Firstly, if you are serious I think you construct the database and forms with
Access, and then having found it runs slowly you start using VB to rewrite
some of it.  In many ways using the JET engine under a pure VB program is the
more satisfactory end point...

And the JET stuff...
There are a whole bunch of programs that run together, even if you don't
regard JET as being a backend database with Access/VB providing the front
end.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/